Thread: sniping blues
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Bit of each really. For the five auctions in question my bids were three whole numbers (two odd, one even) and two fractions (one with odds cents, and one with even cents). One of them was under $10, two were between $10 and $25, one was between $25 and $50, and one was between $50 and $100. My average bid was $34.894.

Anything else I can add to make this the least fascinating thread of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Are you bidding in whole amounts or odd numbers?

When setting a snipe most folks set even whole numbers by habit - 10.00, 15.00, 25.00, etc. The best way to successfully snipe is to pick odd numbers and then add a few cents. The minimum bid increment does not apply on a snipe that exceeds the prior bid by more than that increment as long as it is higher than the prior bidder, even if only by a penny.

For example, if a auction is currently at 12.00 and the bidders max bid is 20, if you snipe at 20.01 you will win by 1 cent. The minimum bid amount has been exceeded by plenty as the bid was 8.01 over the prior amount and exceeds the bidders max.

When placing a snipe I always pick an amount followed by a few cents, such as 21.03. I often win by just those 3 or 7 cents. From experience I know it frustrates the hell out of people, but they need to learn the in's and out's of bidding.