View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 AM
John Michael

I first discovered there was such a thing as a full-time card dealer by noticing a tiny ad in the back of a Street and Smith's Baseball annual. The ad was placed by none other than Kit Young out of San Diego, CA. It opened up a whole new world as before then I, along witrh all my friends, only knew of grocery and variety/candy stores as suppliers.
Is Kit Young still around? I know the shop still is doing business but, like Larry Fritsch Cards, it's a shell of it's former self. Also wonder about the Card Collectors Company. I know it went under not long after new ownership but, what about the original owners? I know Joseph Pasternack is selling whats left of the old CCC Reprint sets on Ebay. He had his own internet site, Champions of Sports, but no longer maitains it.
And that brings me to one more question.....While we all know what happened to whats left of the old dealers-- they reduced overhead by selling on the internet. But why are most of them now choosing Ebay as there main source of sales rather than their own website?
One of the last holdouts was Dean's Cards. For the first time he has a ton of listings on Ebay. Going out of business? Not that I'd miss him, just curious.