View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 11:50 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I wonder if this isn't a bit of an educated gamble on the part of some more "investor-like" collectors who are betting on future appreciation to such unopened items. As you noted, you can still purchase these sets for relatively low amounts, but finding unopened boxes may start becoming more difficult as time goes by. People opening those boxes nowadays, looking for those few, elusive, high-grade stars/HOFers that may be in them, just keeps reducing the number of unopened boxes out there. Just a SWAG.

I agree with your reasoning...I am not a "slabber" so I just don't agree in the practice. Using the 1985 Topps set as an example....I would bet you could buy at least 15 (probably more) NM sets for the price of 1 unopened wax box.....and if you get a wax box you will most likely get 2/3 of the "big 3" rookies...and if they are not centered or sharp (i.e., "8" or below") you just lost practically your entire investment....where if you get the 15 sets...you know you are getting 45 NM copies of the "big 3" (not to mention 15 of every star). Odds are you will get many 7s-8s...maybe better...hit a few 9s or even 10s of any star and bingo you can sell to breakeven or re-up for 15 more sets...whatever your end game is. I am more collector than flipper/investor...but I especially don't get buying a (see 1) pack for say $100...when you can buy the same set for $10....never will.