View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Default T206's in "The good ole days"

Posted By: barrysloate

As Ted and I were both active in the 1980's, wheeling and dealing with each other, and I was very close to Wayne Miller then (I would make a beeline for his table every Willow Grove show), let me reminisce a bit, too. T206 were cheap and plentiful in those days; and Wayne, who was as nice a guy as this hobby ever had, would always bring about a thousand new ones that he didn't have the previous show, and you could be sure a couple of hundred of them would be in my briefcase by Friday night. There was certainly a premium for Drum, Uzit, and Lenox, and somewhat of a premium for Broadleaf and Carolina Brights, but the other backs barely cost more than a common. That's why I find it amusing when I see on ebay "rare Tolstoi back" or "rare EPDG back" because I know from experience they are simply a little less plentiful, but hardly rare.

About a year ago I got in touch with Wayne when somebody provided a link on this board to his website. He currently works as a professional magician, having given up the hobby years ago. We both shared some memories of those good old days, lost forever.