View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I have seen a factory 25 designation on the the bottom as well and a few with the side mark, which looks more like an alignment marking vs #.
Chris

I'm not sure I understand your...."vs #" ?

Perhaps, I should clarify my previous comment........
"It's the Factory #......I have seen other such numbers and they always coincide with the Factory # of the given T-brand.

These #'s most likely identify to the printer (at a quick glance) which specific back printing plate they have selected for a
given press run."

Yes I have seen the #25, also; and, the card it was printed on was a Sweet Cap, Factory #25. Has anyone seen a T206 with any other # which
does NOT coincide with the Factory # on that particular card ? I don't think so.

The lettering on the actual printer's plate(s) of these various Factory's found on American Beauty, Piedmont, and Sweet Cap backs is very tiny;
therefore, each plate identified the given Factory # on the printed sheet with these large numbers along the edge of the sheet. Which made it
easier for jobber at American Lithographic to cut, package, and ship the cards to the appropriate Tobacco Factory.

TED Z