View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here they talk about the coal. https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.or...nic-coal.5743/

One poster said that the authorized salvage company/relic hunters brought up enough coal for 400,000 pieces. And apparently the sales were pretty poor for a while.

Of course, there's still coal bits in the coal bin in my house, and I know the conversion to oil was done in 1946....

If anyone wants an official "steves house" piece of coal I'll whip up a nice little package...….Lets say $5 plus shipping? Unfortunately it won't be able to ship in time for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Check this out. I found this recently and thought it was amusing.

It's a piece of coal from the Titanic. It was supposed to have been recovered from the wreckage, or the "vicinity" of the wreckage.

It comes packaged in a slick looking plastic case with a printed "Certificate of Authenticity behind it. It's no longer available, but I think it was like $30.

Now look at the buyer questions below.

Someone asked: "How do you know its really from the Titanic ???"

Then "Bob z" responds: "Faith... pure faith."

The best answer of all came from "Ms. Susan Caughey" who chimed in with a bit of a philosophical perspective: " This is not an item that a die-hard skeptic would enjoy, but I like it. Many things in life require a suspension of disbelief. This is one of them."