View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default Paperloss on Front + PSA = 4

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In my estimation, once a card gets graded, it no longer is the stand alone raw card to be evaluated based on its own merits. The evaluation of a seperate party is affixed to the card. This presentation of card + holder is what often is offered for sale.

Although it makes sense to focus on the card and put little emphasis on the opinion of the third party, in operation, much of the hobby does not do this. Actually, the price a card realizes is frequently driven primarilly by the opinion of the independent grader.

In any case, although it is often touted "buy the card, not the holder"; some people buy the package of card + holder and take pride in the package.

In this case, it appears that the grader made an error. But the package can legitimately be offered for sale, as is. This offering does not have to comprimize a seller's integrity, if he makes no attempt to defraud. I can envision a collector prefering a g card in a vg/ex holder over a vg in a vg holder. I may not agree with this viewpoint, but under the CWYWC guideline, I won't criticise it.