View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Not speaking from my own experience, but one guy that I know who sets up at the National every year does so more for making contacts and getting leads than for trying to realize sales. He deals primarily in game-used items, and will take some pretty high-end stuff for show, but doesn't necessarily expect to actually sell much at the show. I would think your paintings would be the same way, in that you might not sell many (or any) large pieces at the show, but through lots of hand-shaking and pressing the flesh, would expect to come away with some commissions or at least having made contacts that would yield commissions down the road. As far as the larger pieces go, I really don't think you or Dean should be expecting spur-of-the-moment purchases, as to me, that sort of purchase requires a bit more planning and forethought, not just because of the $ involved, but also because the personal connection with the subject and involvement in its selection seems to be a much more integral part of the process.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something to specifically fund the trip and make it immediately pay for itself, I would think that smaller pieces or something like the forthcoming book (*ahem* any updates there?) would be ideal for bringing to the National as those would fall closer to the spur-of-the-moment purchase category. They would also be much easier for buyers to transport back home than the larger pieces.

That's my 2 cents anyway. (And glancing back at the thread, I see that I'd better go ahead and post this before EVERYTHING gets restated pre-stated in more eloquent fashion )

OT question: What is that little standee/statue thing on the table in the shot from 5 years ago? It looks a lot like the things George Burke used to make for players occasionally (I know, I know, it's the one thing in the photo that is NOT an awesome Kreindler painting, and I'm sure many fists are shaking with utterances of "If he mentions George Burke one more time...")

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-26-2014 at 09:55 PM.