View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Scott S

Default O/T Hanging in the dugout for Red Sox BP

My 6-year old son Xander had the unique opportunity to hang out in the Red Sox dugout a couple of days ago, during the team's batting practice. It was a cold 45 degree day, with some showers in the area. My fears were that BP would be cancelled, and I'd have a disappointed 6-year old with me.

We weren't sure exactly what to expect - maybe a few players would stop and sign a quick autograph while scrambling back to the clubhouse. But as we took our position, we were amazed how the afternoon went.

It was basically us, plus a couple of Red Sox staffers. First player to come by was Matt Barnes, a relief pitcher. He stopped and was signing my son's ball. But as he was signing, Mookie Betts came walking by. I asked Mookie if he would sign it as well; he stopped and chatted with my son while waiting for Barnes to finish signing the ball. Mookie signed and posed for a picture.

Over the next hour, we couldn't have asked for more - Xander (my son's favorite because of the name), Pedroia, JD Martinez, etc. - all were super kind to my diehard 6-year old. (JD Martinez even pretended to ignore us, walked right by us quickly, then turned back and said, "Just kidding, guys, how are you!?" and talked to us for a few minutes.) Many stopped and talked with him, asked him if he plays baseball, etc. None of this was about money or greed or any of the other negative things said about players today - this was about them just taking a minute or two from their day, to give a kid the thrill of his young life.

Never has a 45 degree rainy day at the ballpark been so awesome as this one! Needed to share the story and some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2191 sm.jpg (78.9 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_E2210.jpg (72.1 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_E2239.jpg (78.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2237 sm.jpg (78.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2217 sm.jpg (79.4 KB, 284 views)