View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 10:51 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: The first E90-1 checklist, 1942

As a followup to my posts on the first checklists of various baseball tobacco card sets, as printed in Jefferson Burdick's Card Collectors Bulletin between 1940 and 1944, I present here the first printed checklist of E90-1, or #75, as it was then known. It appeared in the June 1, 1942 issue of CCB (#18), the issue after the second part of Burdick's two-part T212 Obak checklist (which I posted in this thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240273). What's especially interesting about this one is that John D. Wagner, whose copy of CCB this was, actively collected the set and annotated the checklist in pencil. He wrote "need" or "Miss" next to several cards (plus something I can't quite decipher next to #20, Clarke), and at the top he wrote in 14 additional cards that Burdick had missed in the original checklist. After the first page below I've included a closer picture of these added names, which are:

Adams, Pitt
Bescher, Reds
Clement, Bklyn
Dougherty, LF Sox
G. Davis, ss "
Smith p. Sox
Sweeney ss Boston N
Steinfeldt 3b Cubs
Tenney 1b NY Nat
McIntyre p Bklyn
Walsh p. Chi Sox
Young p. Cle
Wagner Pitt port
" batt.

At the end of the list on the second page, Burdick describes, but does not checklist, the similar sets that we know as E90-3 and E90-2. Of the additional cards that Wagner wrote in, Adams, Smith, and Steinfeldt do not appear in E90-1, but they are in E90-2 and E90-3, so those must have been what Wagner had. The others include several relatively tough cards (Bescher, Clement, Dougherty, Sweeney), so it's not surprising that Burdick missed them the first time around.

Wagner apparently sent this list of new cards to Burdick, because in the December 1, 1942 CCB, Burdick mentioned in a short item (shown in the last picture) that Wagner had found time to find several new cards in the American Caramel Baseball series.