View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1965 Topps Hockey

Back in the early '90s, I spent three years in Oklahoma City as an Air Traffic Control Instructor. When teaching a difficult subject (like weather) we instructors joked "I don't have to know this stuff, I just have to teach it". This has been my operating method of collecting football and hockey cards. "I collect 'em but I don't know anything about them".

1965 checklist card number #121 shows that #121 is the last card, but the price guide states 128 cards in the set, and I do have #126 in my collection. So I did some research mainly using the PSA site, and I'm asking for help in understanding this set.

The cards may have been released in two series. They are numbered and grouped by teams starting with (series 1?) Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Black Hawks, and then a checklist card #66. This pattern is repeated (series 2?) Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Black Hawks, and ends with a checklist card #121.
Card #122 is an extra Gordie Howe card, and then six different team cards not in the same order as Series 1 or 2 #123 Maple Leafs, #124 Black Hawks, #125 Red Wings, #126 Canadiens, #127 Rangers, and #128 Bruins.

Card numbers #122-#128 are short prints and expensive, and there are rumored to be some double printed cards as well.

Anyway it's a cool looking set, and with 104 different I'm over 80% complete. What else do I need to know about 1965 Topps hockey?

Card #107 is always a favorite. How would you like to be a pro player, and the back of your Topps card starts out "Baldish backliner"
 photo filename-1-34.jpg
 photo filename-1-35.jpg