View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Just to illustrate that Mays isn't rude only to fans:

One of my former managers worked in the Giants organization a few years ago. I guess each year during spring training the organization brings in some of its former greats, including Mays, for a day just to hang out with the major-league coaching staff and some of the minor-league directors, instructors, etc.

At the end of the day, all of the former players were holding court in the clubhouse, and the atmosphere was great. Lots of laughter and stories being swapped. A few of the current coaches and staff started passing around balls to have signed. My friend said that as soon as Mays saw that, he announced loudly that if anyone asked him for more than two autographs, he was leaving right then and there.

All of the current members of the Giants just kind of froze and stared at each other, not really knowing what to do.

To put it in perspective, in my years in and around professional baseball, I'd never seen or heard of one member of the fraternity treating another like that. It's just not done.