Thread: Chasing Ink
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Chasing Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This stuff is great, but it's funny how some of those guys look less than pleased to have to take a few seconds to pose for a picture. That's hilarious.

Can you rate each person shown as to how engaging they were with you and yours??
1 (bad) to 10 (marvelous).

Good idea...here goes!

* Brock was really quiet. Polite but not really engaging. 5
* Carew was really nice. Asked him to sign Rodney Cline Carew and he said he didn’t know how! He meant it. 7
* Cepeda was quiet. He seemed to process things slowly and acted older than his age. Still nice, though, and signed his full name for me. 6
* Feller was awesome. A little “proud” but really engaging and his eyes lit up when I handed him my 40’s model glove. Put it on his hand and he seemed to be transported elsewhere as he told me the history of that glove. Great man. 9
* Ford was nice and polite. More focused on my twins which was fine with me. 7
* Carlton was awesome. Despite his reputation, he chatted me up and jumped up to take a pic. He loved the Cy Young project he signed for me and asked lots of questions. 9
* Ripken was the consummate professional. Brought his own backdrop, talked to me and my daughter like we were the only ones there. Signed for a group then took a break to take pictures with everyone. Expensive but well worth the money. 10
* Ozzie was fantastic, true to his nature as an ambassador of the game. Chatted and happy to take pictures. 8
* Murray was nicer than I expected. Serious but polite and seemed like a nice guy who didn’t exactly enjoy signing autographs but made a good effort. 7
* Palmer was one of the first I ever got a picture with. He was signing at a small shop and I got there at the end of the signing period. Had him to myself and he couldn’t be nicer. Signed his full name and we talked for a few minutes. 8
* Reggie was, well, an asshole. But he wasn’t Mays or Gibson, so he gets a 2.
* Kaline was also nicer than expected. Very engaging and happy to chat. Nice man. 8
* Yount was a nice man who gave a great signature. Nothing special. 7
* Seaver was in a weird mood. He cut himself shaving so being asked to take a picture probably didn’t make his day. He’s not the nicest guy in the world. 4
* Neikro was cool...much nicer in person than expected. Good with my girls, too. 7
* Sutton was cool. Very animated and loved my daughter. 8
* Rose was a lovable jackass. He signed a 3,000 hit piece for me and started making fun of Boggs, saying he had as many singles as Boggs had hits. 7
* Erskine is a gem. A great man who mad you feel like you were the only person in the room. 9
* Newcombe is awesome. Stood up after signing to chat and shake hands for a picture. I could have talked to him all day. 9
* Shuba was super nice. Knew how to work the room and loved my girls. 9
* Lyle was kind of a prick. 4
* Richard was amazing. One of my favorite players growing up, we chatted for a few minutes. Nice man. 8
* Garvey was very polished. Comfortable working the room he talked to me like he knew me. 8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 01-04-2018 at 09:31 PM.