View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Wow...the knowledge and experience here is mind boggling to me. Nicely done saving some poor schmuck a ton of dough and heartache. I do feel bad for the seller, but hey, not the fault of the new buyer. Now he will know it's fake, I hope he doesn't try another avenue to get rid of it.

I am going to be in the market for a 3 or 4 this upcoming February. These type of posts and the archives of this site will be invaluable to me. For that...thanks a million...I have a lot of time to get educated on this card and I intend to do so. I do have to say that the font on the PSA tag looked immediately off...but the other stuff...wow.
Best advice I can give when it comes to the '52 Mantle, it is a very, very good idea to buy in person. While diagnostics like the ones I've shown can help you out, nothing beats seeing the card in person. You can spot a fake a mile away, because it's simply not possible to recreate the vintage four color process, and the look and the feel and the colors. The National is a great place to buy, and if you bring cash, you can get some deals. Failing that, buy from a reputable dealer or an auction house like heritage or Memory Lane.