Thread: April Pick Ups
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Talk about buried treasure!!!

I purchased the three photos below as part of a group of type 1 female athlete photos from an auction house. I purchased the lot most especially for the Babe Didrickson with Burleigh Grimes photo at the end of this post...plus there are a few of Didrickson at the olympics that are really cool. The auction lot description said there were 9 photos but that only 5 were pictured, so I figured that whatever else was there would be gravy.

Some gravy!!!

I might be the only person in the world who would value these images, so I don't blame the auction house for not including them in the description or the lot image. But these are so incredibly right up my alley for my women in baseball collection!! Plus they hit home a bit because my daughter is a catcher (softball, though I don't hold that against her..much...).

The three images below are of Rita Briggs playing for her high school's baseball team in 1945. Upon graduation, Briggs would join the AAGPBL and play there through the final year of its existence. Briggs would compile nearly 2,500 at bats in the AAGPBL as a good field no hit catcher. The softball field at her high school (where she played baseball) is now renamed in her honor.

Last edited by btcarfagno; 04-28-2018 at 10:58 AM.