View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, and regardless of that TL rating being quite hot, I already figured out that heat would melt slabs even in a safe like this before that rating came into play. . Hence another reason to leave 'em at the bank with much more peace of mind (I guess almost nothing is perfect). I used to visit them every so often and they were fine with it. That and having most of them online was, and is, what I Like best. Everyone has their own ideas on this stuff as to what is best for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Be careful with those ratings, I am told.

Say your safe was rated at 1400 degrees for 30 minutes. Some companies start the heat and the time at the same time. So the "ramp up" time is included in the 30 minutes. Others, (I THINK Liberty) starts the timer when then heat gets to that temp.

Now, things may have changed, as I got rid of my big safe 10 years ago (and thus my questions about the safe deposit box).

And remember, that safe and contents can be hot long after the fire stops. If I were to keep my card and documents at home, I would buy a big gun safe with the highest fire rating I can afford AND put another smaller safe inside the big safe.

Last edited by Leon; 10-25-2018 at 02:43 PM.