View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
It does account for it. Plus i think DH in the American league has a 10% better chance to get a hit versus a Starting pitcher plus a pinch hitter in the 9th etc..
If that were true, that's only one spot in the batting order. I'm not a mathematician by any means, but I believe you'd have to divide that 10% difference among the 9 spots in the original batting order to come close to an actual conclusion

....... and nowadays losing teams are generally subbing in a pinch hitter for their starting pitcher long before the 9th inning. Especially if they are being shut out and are desperate for runs.

Yes, it is slightly easier to pitch a no-hitter in the NL as opposed to the AL, but nowhere near the difference you are proposing.

Either way, it's a damn fine accomplishment, that should not be diminished one way or another.

I'm sure more no-hitters happen against weak hitting teams rather then strong hitting teams to. These are still professional hitters though, and lots has to go right for something like this to fall into place.