View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Manny went life and death for 4 fights with Marquez. I don't see how that translates into him doing well against Mayweather, who is bigger, quicker and just as skilled as Marquez.
Styles. Boxing matchups are not commutative. Ali went life and death with Frazier but Foreman demolished Frazier, so Foreman should have demolished Ali, right? Wasn't the case. Ali wasn't the kind of heavy handed guy who could hurt Frazier; Big George was. Frazier said Foreman's punches hurt in ways that Ali's never did. Foreman wasn't the kind of boxer who could simply pile up points and go for 15 rounds. He expected to kill his opponents, and when he couldn't kill Ali he got gassed and then lost. Kind of what Hopkins expected to do to Kovalev last year; he figured Kovalev would get winded and then lose in the later rounds but he was wrong.

Marquez is basically a great counter-puncher who is sufficiently aggressive to make a fight with a great attacker and has bulked up substantially since the Mayweather fight. He stank it up against Mayweather partially because he had to make the entire fightand partially because it was obvious early on that he could not hurt FM, which let FM dictate the fight and not worry about getting KO'd. That version of JMM lost to Chris John [legitimately; I remember watching it and thinking where the hell has this guy Chris John been]. Against an attacking force like Pacquiao, he matched up well, especially after he got his camp together and into the 21st century, but I think he was on his way down in the last fight. Pacquiao beat the hell out of JMM in the prior round and was doing the same until he ran into that counter. I don't think JMM would have made it out of the round without that shot.

FWIW, I do not believe that Mayweather will ever agree to fight Pacquiao. I don't think he wants to risk the 0.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2015 at 05:16 PM.