View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
You would never catch me back then in a grocery store but trying to complete my '86 Jiffy Pop set lacking the Gooden haunted me all summer. I had so much of that stuff It still makes me sick.. I finally traded a complete 85 topps set for it the next year but got a 86 Donruss with it.
Bruce, you beautifully expressed one of the facets of the regional / food issue gems---"I had so much of that stuff It still makes me sick..". I definitely brought out that concept in my book on immediate post-war regional / food issues, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. For me, it was Kellogg's Raisin Bran. Their 3-D cards were beautiful enticements, but it took me 40 years before I found them appetizing again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly miss the gorgeous regional / food issues as well. The major trading card companies have the exclusive rights to produce cards. Furthermore, they have paid the piper handsomely for the rights to show any of their respective team emblems. I understand those licenses are flat out prodigiously EXPENSIVE. Panini secured the rights from the Mickey Mantle family to produce cards of him. Sadly, Panini does not have the licenses to produce cards with New York Yankee emblems, rendering them as a beautiful Bengal Tiger with its teeth yanked out. Appalling.

---Brian Powell