View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 05:18 AM
Jeff P

Good luck building this set! Some good advice on here about going about building it. My only addition is that if you are a centering freak, you're gonna need to work hard to put this together with well centered cards as this set is known for its off center / miscut cards.

I would agree that the joy of putting together the set card by card (or at least lot by lot) far outweighs any financial benefit you MIGHT get from just picking the set up. Also agree that if you have the eye for it, picking up raw cards and then getting them graded (if you want your set to be graded), is still a pretty good strategy for getting decent deals. Of course you will have your occasional challenges with the TPG's getting the grades you want but this is just part of the process.

I personally have moved away from graded cards for my sets for a number of reasons:
1. Raw sets are much easier to look at in binders and take up less space to store
2. Raw cards are easier to find at a reasonable price than graded ones
3. The flips seem to change often and I don't want to be constantly paying to keep them all looking the same

Of course, grading provides some additional protection and authentication that you don't get with raw cards so there is a downside to this approach too. My advice to collectors is to go with whatever you feel is best for you!

jeff