View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
i have a feeling many people who voted are confused.
That could be. But I voted in the 5-15 yr old category because I took up vintage collecting when I was about 11 or 12. Back around 1971, a handful of sellers advertised pre-war and post-war cards near the back of the Sporting News and Baseball Digest. I knew lots of the players names both from my dad's stories about Waner, Traynor, Hubbell, Sisler, Ruth, et al and had read both The Glory of Their Times and 8 Men Out. After I bought some cards from the sellers in TSE and BD, the sellers would send around mimeographed sheets of cards for sale every couple of months. Back then, they would sell t-206's by the player's name alone, omitting any reference to whether it was a portrait or not or what back it had or even its condition. And at a local flea market, there was a guy who always had a box of cards and a cat with him. He introduced me to a couple of Goudeys. Somehow, I learned about the existence of the Trader Speaks. I ended up with a lot of t-206's and a number of Goudey's and Playballs, but never ran across most of the issues from the 20's that I collect now.