View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Scott, great piece and signature, I'm jealous. I know that Koufax signed the NBC contract in December 1966 because I have the contract, which is dated "as of December 15", and was announced on December 29, 1966. It actually is a personal services contract, more than just the Game of the Week, which may explain his being in NY then. The quoted $100,000/year is based upon Koufax doing a lot of appearances and developing different programs, most of which never happened as Koufax wasn't comfortable in front of the camera.

Rick
Thanks Rick & I appreciate the specific additional information about the nature of his 1967 contract with NBC. BTW, the contract info that I included in my post came directly from Wikipedia, but I obviously I trust your knowledge of the subject much more since Koufax is your major collecting focus.
I spent some time on the internet early this morning digging into Koufax's broadcasting career.

When I read Wikipedia's info on this topic it was obvious to me that Koufax was not in town to do a Saturday Game of the Week broadcast since the date that the luggage ticket was signed seemed to align with the game played on Monday, July 3rd.

This had me ponder why Koufax would be in NYC & I believe that you helped answer that for me. Possibly a personal appearance...
I'm wondering if perhaps Koufax and Bob Murphy got together at the hotel to discuss his new career in broadcasting?
From all that I've read, Murphy was a highly regarded, popular broadcaster.
Perhaps Sandy was looking to gain some broadcasting advice from Bob Murphy. I guess we will never know, but it's still cool to consider, nevertheless...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.