View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I don't know if Harper is an underachiever who will never reach the level expected or just not as good as a lot of us thought.

He is still young but has had ample opportunity to get back to his MVP level, which, in hind-sight, may turn out to be his peak. I hope not though...I have almost as many Harpers as Trouts.

IMO, until he shows some consistency, he's not worth the 'max' deals.
My thoughts exactly. Harper is (assuming) trying to command a record-setting type free agent deal.. A-Rod/Pujols/Cabrera type money but he has nowhere near the consistency or numerous prolific seasons that any of those guys had to earn their hefty contracts. He has one brilliant 10-WAR season, and three 1-WAR seasons, all in all averaging 3.9 WAR per year. That's not elite/record setting money-worthy IMO. His best season is what Trout AVERAGES over every year of his career (9.1 WAR... close enough) perhaps not fair to compare people to Trout, just for point of reference.

Even Machado has averaged 4.8 WAR per season and has much more consistency in elite performance than Harper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk