View Single Post
Old 08-16-2023, 05:25 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I haven't posted much in a while, but you could do a search on my past posts and probably find some anti-grading posts from me. I am consistently inconsistent on this issue, however. I've come around on grading to a point. I'm just a collector, and I'm not planning on selling much of anything any time soon. I just love owning the cards.

I am starting to do a little bit of a consolidation and retooling of my collection. Some of the cards I have owned for a long time are graded already. As much as I hate to admit it, I have come to appreciate (maybe even like?) vintage cards in new graded holders that aren't all scuffed up. I like the presentation. I've started sending a couple of cards here and there to SGC to get them graded. I could go on and on trying to justify myself on this issue, but I won't because it wouldn't make logical sense. I have some cards in my collection that likely make sense to grade, but there's others that I figure I will eventually get graded that wouldn't make a ton of financial sense in the immediate future. I just like the way they look in the SGC holders. I know I could find cheaper holders, and goodness knows I've used everything in the book over the years.

I don't live in a metropolitan area so a lot of my buying and selling occurs online. Grading makes some of that easier for me. And, like I said, I like the presentation even if it doesn't make a ton of sense. So, the only advice I'd venture to offer would simply be just to do what makes you happy with your cards. This is just a hobby. You can't do it "wrong." You have some nice stuff. If you keep them ungraded, I totally understand why. If you get some graded to try out, I get that, too. Maybe dip your toe in the water with one or two of your cards and just see how it feels? Good luck!