View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscomicfantasy View Post
On the large scale, I would agree with you but there are notable exceptions. The biggest I could point out are Star Wars and Star Trek!

There are plenty of Star Wars items getting major bucks, week in and week out. I remember about 10 years ago, there were several items going for 6 figures from a major auction house for Star Trek. One of the models used in the movies or series went for $250, 000.

When my wife was alive, I went to DragonCon in Atlanta for many years in a row. I don't know how many go there now, but one year they had 80,000 people over a 4-day extended weekend. I think it's this weekend that it is probably going on right now. I felt it seemed busier at that convention then it did the year they had the Sports Card National in Atlanta, don't remember but that was about 18ish years ago.

I think it really depends on the actor, film, series etc. There is always someone willing to pay more money than someone else for something that most would think is crazy. I have plenty of sports items that guys on this site would think is crazy and visa versa.

I do think sports is more far-reaching than movies and TV for longer periods of time because most are people who have followed certain teams their whole lives. There are few series that you can do that in movies or TV, but there are some.

The other possible examples that come to mind are Lord of the Ring and James Bond 007, and the new kid on the block I would say is Harry Potter.
but you're using contemporary examples which isn't making the same point Leno is. Call me 50 years after the last Star Wars movie or Star Trek movie is in theaters.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions