View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
PSA 7 Ruth sold for $552,000 and 1907 Seamless Steel Tubes Ty Cobb with Cobb writing content for $84,000 as the last Heritage auction. Seamless Cobb in Good 2 went for $24,000 in the last REA auction. Autographed 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb--$26,000. Non-autographed Fielding Pose just under $11,000 at auction in 2015 in PSA 5, up from the $4,000 I paid for one in the very same grade in 2011. I'd say rare and significant items (condition rarity for the Ruth) are doing quite well.

Regards,

Larry
I think Its easy to find arguments to make your point. Just last month Lou sold to Jim a Fielding Dietsche Cobb here in the BST for 1975.00 (unless Jim got him to even take less). The 25 Gehrig exhibit you mentioned, I agree could be had for 6500.00 3 years ago in G-VG condition. But using that same condition we look at the most recent sale of it in the Goodwin auction which went for a little over 18k and no where near the 40k.

Autographed cards are in an entirely differently collector arena. I would not even compare the same issue to each other. The Seamless Tubes Cobb is a great postcard. Like Barry said, if/when another one comes up, I'm pretty sure the winner of the last two (Heritage/REA) won't be going strong after a new example.

Most anything rare and good will always do well in a bear or bull market. Buy the nicest condition you can afford and buy stuff that has a known track record along with the right name (Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Matty, Wajo, Wagner, etc..).

I agree that postcards and CJs are hot along with other issues like SL Cabinets and auto cards. But those don't represent the entire market. Do I agree the market is flattening? No way! If anything, it's exciting seeing the realized prices on many issues and hearing about private sales that take place.