View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The card sold for PSA 7 type money because it has tremendous eye appeal. If I hadn't seen the flip and we were playing the 'guess the grade' game, I would have guessed and 8 or 8.5.

Edited to add: Someone bought the card and not the grade. Good for them.
This is spot on. The card is stellar. Hits my eye like a high-end 8 at first glance. There are plenty of collectors, myself included, who buy the card and not the grade. If anyone bid 5.5 or 6 money on that card they were going to lose it. You can't always bid based on the VCP grid and average historical price if one wants to win exceptional specimens like this one. Often times a bid at the average price gets you an average card.

That card is better centered than every PSA 7 to sell in 2014, per VCP, and the buyer likely did not want to pay for an 8 or hope a 6 or 7 as nicely centered as this card would pop up. VCP shows the card also looks nicer than the lone PSA 7 that sold in 2013.

Looks like two bidders thought the card was beautiful and put in aggressive snipes that wound up dueling-- happens all the time, unfortunately on some cards I snipe, LOL. A card like this also attracts guys who make money by eventually getting that card into a 7 or 8 holder.

I agree-- props to whoever pulled down a card that looks better than every 7 to sell in two years.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.