View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Bill Gregory

Default This...got a 9 from PSA?

This is a vintage card, not pre-war, but it goes to PSA's whacked out grading standards of late. I've seen so many cards I felt were under-graded (by at least one full point) since the new label and slab went live, seemingly reinforcing the idea that PSA has toughened their standards.

Then I see this, a 1970 Topps Roberto Clemente. They gave it a 9 grade. One of the big boys is selling it, and it looks like it got some very preferential treatment.

PSA 9 '70 Topps Clemente on Ebay

First of all, look at the right edge. The factory cut runs perfectly parallel to the white interior border. Now look at the left border, where the problem, as I see it, exists. If you compare the edge quality to the other three edges, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I know there are rough cuts, but that's not a rough cut. The bottom left corner shows the edge waving slightly. As you move up the border, to the point where the top of Robby's bat barrel intersects with the edge, it becomes very rough, and starts sloping inward.

Some of you guys have more experience with '70 Topps cards, or cards in general from the early 70s. Seems to me to be a pretty clear indication of trimming, and this card shouldn't have received a 9 grade, but an authentic grade.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.