View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default A Few Questions For Dr. Muchinsky

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Mike,

You asked four questions.

1. Favorite pin. Singular, the 1961 Mantle/Maris '61 or Bust pin. Matched pair, the M&M pair on my book cover, 60 in '61. I was 14 years old then, living outside NYC (in CT), the home run race generated more interest than the Yankee team winning the pennant (for the life of me I don't even remember if the AL pennant race was close). For me, those were "the best of (baseball) times". Just 4 years later that magical year was a distant memory, the Yankees became a truly lousy team for a decade, and I crossed the bridge into adulthood (and all that goes with it).

2. I'm not quite sure what you are asking vis-a-vis the Beckett Guide. If you find it useful (as I do), that's great, and is why such books are written. As for the seller who "contributed to the price guide", I wish I had a dollar for everyone who told me over the years that "they contributed to this or that". To me such statements are meant to send a direct, uncoded message: "I'm somebody special, I have unquestioned credibility, and therefore whatever I say must be true". Such statements are invariably followed by some name dropping to complete the attempt at impression management. But this is "high grade" name dropping---e.g., "Me, Tony, Bob, Joe, Lefty, and Mike worked together on X". To inquire as to the surnames of these people would be to imply you are really dumb, as you can't even spot the members of the "in group" that this guy desparately wants you to believe exists, and of which he is a member. To me the irony of this tactic is that it produces the exact opposite effect. People are honorable by their sincerity, their integrity, and their honesty. If they have to layer in some alleged associations with other people to impress you, it means they lack it on their own. I have also learned that oftentimes "Lefty" made his contribution by pouring coffee for the others. Yet he did indeed contribute.

3. I would be reluctant to attempt to make any judgment of a pin's authenticity by a scan. I think there can be distortion in the imaging that can effect your judgment. Here is the best lesson I can offer on reproductions. The best way to spot a reproduction is not by the front of the pin, but the back. Advances in computer-aided imagery can produce some authentic looking pins. But no computer program can fake the metal plate, celluloid, or collett. If you have doubts about a pin, start at the back, because it is more diagnostic than the front.

4. No. I would love to get the 1942 and 1943 Cardinals WS pins because they are beautiful, made by a classic pinmaker (the St. Louis Button Company), and are made of celluloid, not your usual little metal item. I've also been told there are re-issues of WS pins. If you are into "completeness" as a collector, this is dangerous water. There are within-year varieties (perhaps prototypes), multiple forms (pin, tie clasp, money clip), and phantoms.

Paul