View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default A Few Questions For Dr. Muchinsky

Posted By: Paul Muchinsky

Mike,

Authenticating pins from scans would not be my preferred method, as I would like to "touch" what I see. And at 60, my eyes are not what they once were. [I often remove my glasses and hold a pin up near my eyes]. However, I seem to detect two items on the reverse that APPEAR to be suspect (but it just may be the scan). One is so unusual I can honestly say I have never seen it before.
First, it appears there is some elevation to the back plate, i.e., the back of the pin is not totally flat. I have seen this feature in other pins, but only in a larger diameter, typically in the 3.0" or 3.5" diameter. However, what is unique about this pin is (unless I am seeing it incorrectly) is the top of the needle pin (what you would affix to your clothing to wear it) appears to be soldered directly to the back plate. Most pinbacks (but not all) have about a 220-degree (more than 180, less than 270) circular design that snaps or springs into the trough beneath the collett. My network name, "springpin", is such a pin. Because the diameter of the circular springpin is greater than the diameter of the pinback, the springpin is "pinched" into place around the collett, and the tension in the springpin is what holds it in place against the inside of the curl, directly under the collett. These spring pins are detachable. If you have my book, I show a "stand alone" springpin in the Introduction. The only other type of pin mechanism involves a double plate, with two small holes cut into the second plate. The pin is inserted in the manufacturing process between the two plates, and in effect functions somewhat like a safety pin. Emerging out from one of the holes is the pin, and emerging out from the second hole is a "catch", a small "U" shaped piece of metal, where the sharp point of the pin rests in the trough of the "U". A slight variation to this pinning mechanism is a "C" shaped catch, where the sharp end of the pin enters the "C" from the side. Most distinctively, this type of pin is not removable, as it has been placed in between the two plates, behind the first one. Your pin seems to be neither of these two designs. Yours appears to have properties of both--a straight needle pin that is not removable. If I am "missing" something in the picture, please so advise. If I am not, and I have described your pin correctly, your Williams pin is definitely not vintage, as such a construction method had not yet been invented in the 1950s. The front of the pin seems to have a "checkered matrix" background, but thay may be due to its photographic image.

Paul