View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
A cycle is celebrated because of its rarity, not because it's better than hitting two homers and a double in the same game, but because every at-bat has to be so specific in what happens. Most guys don't hit more than two to three triples a year...take all of those guys and on the two or three days that they hit a triple, that's when they have a shot at a cycle. All they have to do is get four hits and they have to be a homer, double and single in the other at-bats...easy enough, eh? Now take the guys that do indeed hit ten to twelve triples a year...most of them fail to hit more than five to eight homers all year! Again...it's all about the rarity of the accomplishment.

But I get what you're saying, Jake...in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of better hitting days each year than what a cycle brings.
right my point is lots of things are rare but not celebrated.....a guy can hit a homer and just stop at third for the 'triple' so he can get the cycle.......pitchers that throw a complete game or no hitter aren't purposely doing something 'less' to get that feat...they have to get everyone out that they can, ...but if you have a single, homer and double and hit a ball over the wall, you can just stay at third for the 'cycle' ..or if just a single is needed you can turn a sure double into a 'single'.....and I think we will all agree, there must one of those 'cycles' out there where the player didn't go for that extra base...so its not theory I am arguing it has to have happened especially if the cycle was a big deal...why get that extra base to help the team?

and you said it - ..there aren't a lot of better pitching days in a year when someone pitches a no-hitter......but there are a LOT of better hitting days in a year versus someone hitting for the cycle...yet the no-hotter means less and less ...so should the cycle...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-09-2015 at 06:16 AM.