View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Default and I thought I was having a bad day

Posted By: TBob

Horror stories
1. I bought an E94 Jennings with gold background (the one I needed) in EX+ on ebay from a respected dealer. When I took it out of the hard case to transfer it in to the pocket pages, the top 1/4 "exploded" and the surface paper slid off.
2. Buying some T207 vintage cards from Clean Sweep Auctions only to find out that they were either taken to Hawaii by mistake, sent to Nebraska by mistake, misplaced or still in the mail, depending on which employee I talked to. I finally got my money back a few months later after several phone calls and angry emails. My last dealings with a company I had spent a couple of thousand dollars with putting together that set.
3. My first baseball card purchased when I got back in the hobby in 1981, from a local card shop. The seller assured me that the 1955 Killebrew was so rare that you couldn't find it in better than VG shape.
4. Turning down a stack of about 40-50 EXMT T205s at the Kansas City show when Ted Williams was the guest, back in the late 80's. The guy wandering the aisles saw I was buying T206s and tried to sell me this stack. I didn't want to get in to collecting another set. He came down on the price all the way from $200 to $75. Matty was on top of the stack. Dumbest move I ever made.
5. Selling a near complete set of T213-3s less a Cobb which I kept (and later traded) to Bill Mastro for $350 in the early 80's. They were from a find in Louisiana. I still see them popping up in Mastro auctions from time to time. Try finding even a single T213-3 these days. Included 2 cards which were not even checklisted by Lew Lipset in his book. DUMB!