View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I really think a lot of it boils down to how much money would you need to earn. I would bet if you are in the market for entry level stuff then you would have a chance. The grading companies would be at the top of my list then the auctions houses. See if you can find something of value that they might need, like James and his writting. Heck I would say talk to PSA about the SMR, that thing needs tons of work and imo if done right really could be a credit to the hobby and not the current joke pricing.

As far as being a dealer, as other have said start small. You will need a couple important things, capital and inventory. You need capital/cash to be ready to puchase good deals when they arrive and inventory to have stuff to sell.

In my own side card business I carry about 40 cards worth around 5-6k in my ebay store, I sell about 5-10% (2-4 cards) each month. Thats only about $250 - $500 of revenue a month, I do make a nice margin on most of the items about 25% (after fees) but that means I make a profit of only about $62-125 a month. The good side is I put all my profit back into inventory and it has doubled in 2 years ago.

My suggestion is save up some cash and start buying/selling in your area of expertise and work your inventory up.

For me I would need to grow my inventory another 80 times what it is now or about $500,000 for me to consider doing it full time, haha, guess I am sticking to the full time job for another 20 years.

Good luck!