View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Mark, this is a very interesting point, namely that card doctors are pushing prices bc they are buying cards at high prices thinking they can crack, alter, submit and achieve higher grades which will bring even still higher prices.

For example,
Dr. A sees a great looking 33 Goudey Ruth in a PSA 4 flip. According to VCP, the card is worth approximately $Y. Dr. A feels he could take that PSA 4, crack it, remove a few stains and straighten up one border and get a PSA 6-7, which will make the card worth 4 x $Y. So, Dr. A is willing to 1.5 x VCP pricing on the PSA 4, thereby forever changing the value of a PSA 4 Goudey Ruth.

I am sure this happens. Mark, thanks for providing an angle I have not thought of -- nice to read something new.

Ryan
We've discussed this before in explaining some insane prices for cards that look great for the grade with only a trivial flaw. I think clearly you have some card doctor competition for such cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.