View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hi Gary,
So here is something that still troubles me. If the hobby has reached the point where the slightly altered cards are almost impossible to distinguish from the unaltered ones, then what use does the hobby have for third party graders? We pay them a lot of money to make determinations that many of us don't feel qualified to make ourselves. But it appears that as graders and authenticators they are no more skilled than we are.

So it's starting to look like (and truth be told it's been going on for a long time), all of these machinations are reduced down to one thing: getting the number we want on the slab. The whole hobby is really about that number.

Sorry folks, but it's a sad state of affairs. And I don't like it one bit.
I think the hobby has reached the point where under current grading methods altered cards are almost impossible to distinguish from the unaltered ones. And I think to a skilled card doctor we might be talking about more than just the slightly altered. But, because IMO the technology exists to expose these alterations and in time it will be employed by TPGs, it could be very risky to buy the number on the slab if to hold value the card eventually will need to be re slabbed under the newer methods.