View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default Kawhi Leaves Toronto

Today has been a shitty day. I woke up to see that I got a few LOL emails from my American friends because Kawhi left for the Clippers. On top of that, my grandma died. I don't think Kawhi's departure had anything to do with it though. Let's explore this in more detail:

One way of looking at it

Kawhi didn't want to be here in the first place. However, he still put on that Raptors jersey and reported for duty. Also, he could have half-assed it all season long, but he didn't. He gave it 100 percent and helped us win our first championship. The city of Toronto should be grateful to him for everything he did and respect his decision for wanting to go home.

The other way of looking at it

Logically speaking, what Kawhi did makes no sense. How could he just walk away from a championship team? How many stars can you think of that did something like this? Did Kobe leave the Lakers after winning? Did Curry leave after winning with the Warriors? Did LeBron leave after winning in Cleveland? It's not as if Kawhi joined a better team. Do they have a chance of winning now that they have him (and Paul George?) I still don't think so. Furthermore, since Kawhi was looking for a max contract, he could have earned a lot more playing in Toronto. And finally, he was a king up here. In California, he is no king - just another great player.

Anyways, now it's up to the basketball Gods to decide what's going to happen. If he doesn't win with the Clippers, and I don't think he will, then all those "what if" questions are going to start: what if he had stayed in Toronto? How many more rings do you think he would have won? And if he won a few more, then do you think he would have ended up in the same category as the other all-time greats, like Kobe, Magic, Bird? Let's all wait and see what happens!