View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Bill Cauley

I kind of hit a similar scenario a few months back. I have a LOT of cards, mostly modern, that I just don't care for anymore. The cards I have that I care about are my vintage, both pre/post war. So, in order to fund the vintage, I've been selling off my modern stuff. Though I will keep modern RC's and a couple that I just like, everything else is going.

I look at it as one huge trade. I sell off all the stuff, the $$ accumulates in the Paypal, and then I purchase the vintage I want.

I'm not a big $$ spender but will splurge once in awhile with "splurge" being a relative term. The three cards I wanted to obtain during 2010 were 1) '53 Bowman Color Reese, 2) T206 Walter Johnson Portrait, and 3) 1938 Goudey Heads Up Bob Feller. I've got the Reese and am looking to target the Johnson next. The Feller I still want but my interest is waning slightly on that one.

Aside from those three, I am now picking a player for post war and collect his "run" of cards. I always liked Tony Conigliaro so I did his Topps run. I'm just about done with my Bob Gibson Topps run and have started a Reese Bowman run. It's cards/players I like and the groups are small enough that they hold my interest. I would love to work on sets but I just don't have the patience to do it.

I don't really know where I was going with this other than just go after cards that will mean something to you and you'll enjoy. It's what makes the hobby world keep spinning.