View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

North of $7,000 is a fair estimate. A few will sell for slightly less,but I would use that as your general starting point. Most Summer games medals will be less than the comparable medal for the winter games as there are less medals awarded during the winter games. Bronze is usually least expensive with silver next and gold, but it is not necessarily exponential. A medal that can be associated with a specific sport may carry a greater cachet. Most medals since at least 1996 have had the event engraved on the edge. 1968 medals had a small icon attached to the ribbon denoting the sport. Prior to that it is impossible to tell what event unless there is solid provenance. Winners medals prior to 1960 had NO ribbon or chain. The first ones to have them were 1960 which had very nice chains which looked like Olive leaves. 1972 had simple gold chains with an eyelet that screwed into the top of the medal.

Steer clear of 2008, 2012 and 2016 medals as reproductions are being made and sold on the bay for less than $100.00. Jostens also made samples of 1984 medals in a stand up wood and glass case, but they are not anywhere as valuable as an awarded medal.

Your best bet on a medal is one of the Olympic auction houses - Ingrid O'Neil from California, Ulf Strom from Sweden and Wolfgang Fuhr (AGON Sportsworld) in Germany. RR Auctions has had some winners medals in their last two Olympics auctions and a few were rather affordable. You can contact me if you would like to contact any of them. I can also contact a few people privately to see what they have for sale. I know a few collectors/dealers who may have one for sale.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-06-2016 at 02:09 AM.