View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Again, I want to point out that I'm not picking on SGC, and PSA has tons of examples of doing this. However, this Magie that sold on ebay recently, doesn't this look like it should have been graded Authentic because of the writing on the front of the card, which looks like there was an attempted erasure? The original owner of the card listed this on ebay BST on the board, so he may know better, of course.

The other thing is that, and this is not really an overgrade, but more of a difference in grading philosophy, but SGC is much more lenient on diamond cuts than PSA IMHO. The Gehrig that was slabbed by SGC as 3, probably would have received an Authentic from PSA. Again, I can point out these two cards from SGC, and be shown 20 cards from PSA that have similar, if not worse, issues than these. No question that PSA needs to tighten up their grading consistency better.

I also have to say the ex-SGC employees are superb. When looking at the SGC board, it's crazy how much work Brian is still doing there. He doesn't even work for SGC anymore, and he's still answering forum questions, updating the SGC registry. That's dedication. I also had the recent experience working with Derek Grady on a consignment for Heritage. He was extremely pleasant and made the entire process for my first consignment to Heritage very smooth. Those beaters in the November Signature auction are mine! I haven't had a chance to work much with the new crop of SGC reps, but I do have a growing pile of cards that I'm preparing to send that way, and they have big shoes to fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magie.jpg (66.4 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg gehrig.jpg (28.8 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by glchen; 08-25-2011 at 12:57 AM.