View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Larry More.y

Default What would you say to this fellow board member?

Recently I sold some cards through ebay to someone who is a long time board member here on net54. Through ebay I offer two separate discounts (free s/h on larger orders, buy x, get y free on select items) to all users.

Before purchasing, this member asked for an additional discount, referencing other ebay sellers who offer to him a 20% discount on larger purchases. I replied back with a message explaining the two discounts I do offer and that these discounts were intended to reward those users who make larger purchases.... in most cases, my two discounts were larger than the one he was requesting .

He messaged back saying that a 10-20% (additional, on top of what I already offer) discount makes sense, even after my explanation of the discounts that I offer. At another point he makes mention that he is a member of a social online group representing thousands of collectors that he could promote my ebay offerings to, but I should make my ebay store more appealing (by offering a 20% discount on larger purchases in addition to the other discounts already offered on larger purchases).

At this point, I begin reading between the lines and start to feel that he was attempting to extort this additional discount from me by using his long time membership to this and other forums. He says he will positively promote my store with the discount, which to me at the same time implies he will negatively mention my store if I do not provide and additional discount.

He went through with the transaction anyway, without me agreeing to offer any additional discounts, but did qualify for one of the two stated discounts I do offer. Apparently I was not reasonable enough with him as today, he began providing me with negative feedbacks for not being reasonable (offering him the additional discounts he requested, I mean attempted to extort from me).

After selling on ebay for nearly 20 years, this has hands down been the most unreasonable user I have ever dealt with. I have also never had anyone who is the member of any sports card forum mention their membership for anything but a positive reason. Never have I had anyone use their membership to a forum as a tactic to negotiate an un-advertised discount. This user knew CLEARLY up front what discounts were offered, proceeded with the purchase and then provides negative feedback that I was "unreasonable".

Am I wrong for feeling this member was trying use his forum memberships to extort an additional discount?