View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Great stuff, Mike! Keep it coming!
I love when players go out of their way for the kids... Last week, I went to the Dodgers-Reds game with one mission in mind and that was to get Don Mattingly's autograph on an index card for my Yankees retired # project and to get him to sign the two OMLBs that I had for my two sons. I got the index card (Yea!) before the game and decided to wait outside the hotel after the game for the two balls. Donnie Baseball was first off the bus and had a young boy with him and didn't feel comfortable stopping and signing in a tiny crowd with the child.

None of the players stopped, Josh Beckett was the biggest jerk when he (speed) walked by... But then Hanley Ramirez stopped and signed a few. I was front and center with a ball in hand along with a couple other guys and a few kids. It didn't take long to realize that he was skipping all the adults and only signing for the kids, I have no problem with that! And he even stopped and was talking to the seven or eight year old girl for a minute or so. It's times like that where you get a real appreciation for a player, as a person.