View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Jay T.

Default 1977 Twinkies- Don't need the Black Bars

I have a theory, and it seems to be pretty accurate so far. I have two completed sets of 1977 regular Hostess and 1977 Twinkies (with the black bars).
I noticed a lot of times people have trouble finding certain cards to complete the set. #s 19, 20, 29, 30 and 136-150 are all problem cards.
After viewing these cards repeatedly, I noticed on ALL of the Twinkies cards (with the black bars) that the text is bolder on the back (see cards #16 plain text and Card # 16 bold text). I also noticed that on some of these cards, if you cut the card by its borders, the black bars would not even come close to being on the card. Therefore, it would be hard to find card #19 and #20 with the black bars on them. Although you can find them that way since they were made in multiple formats (see third image of card #149).
I have not, however, put together a panel set of regular hostess. I do have a couple panels though.
What we know is that the regular Hostess set was issued in panels only, whereas the Twinkies set was issued in individual cards. I also have a belief they may have been issued in vending machines as well.
Does anyone have a panel set to test my theory?
If so, the bold text cards are definitely Twinkies, and the black bars are not necessary to complete the set.

Card #16- plain text
Plain Text.jpg

Card #16- bold text
Bold Text.jpg

Card #149 multiple formats
combo.jpg