Thread: March Pick-Ups
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Steve

Default Cubs - Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
The Cubs desperately were looking for a solution to their only weakness, CF, throughout the '69 season. They traded Brock because they felt the only position he could play was LF, manned by sweet swinging Billy Williams.

Typical shortsighted Cubbie thinking. As Bill James would later show, Brock's offensive contributions, as one of the games greatest leadoff hitters, in that stacked lineup would have more than made up for his notoriously weak arm, while playing CF. Besides Williams could have moved to 1B with Brock sliding over to LF after Banks retired.

Yet, the '69 season is still looked upon with fondness for Cubs fans despite the August collapse. Growing up in suburban Chicago, that season is my first sports memory. I've managed to collect a insane hoard of memorabilia from that season since then-- the Jewel picture set, mugs, 8x10 autos........everything except for those cheesy facsimile autograghed balls they sold at Wrigley Field. I bought several on Ebay being sold as 1969 balls that ended up being 1967, 1970, 1971
Right, still have poignant memories of that '69 folderoo season. As a college student in Indiana and a Cubs fan since they hired Durocher, was waiting for WS ticks to be published so i could drive up and watch a couple games in Wrigley. Man, was i bummed when they collapsed - especially when the gd Mets jumped over the corpse. I believe Brock nursed a grudge against the Cubs, maybe thought they didn't give him a good chance. Recall him during '69 sneering at them and blasting Santo for that "bush-league" trick he had of clicking his heels after a Cubs win.