View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I think the early 70's cards will show some modest gains over a few more years. especially 71s. But I've been wrong plenty of times before. Mid 70's might also be ok, and late 70's might not be "good" for some time. Not really an "investment" but some might look at it that way.

It all depends on how people come to view the era and the cards. Eventually the early -mid 70's might be seen as the last era before drug use, free agency creating huge salaries and the game and players getting somewhat unapproachable.

Card collecting had a huge boost from about 75- 81 as well, along with somewhat increased production.

I think we're seeing a lot of 70's stuff becoming available as the few adult collectors of the time get older - if you were 30 in 82 you're 60 now and maybe downsizing or getting ready for retirement. And many who collected then while younger might need money in tight times and will sell the 70's stuff as it's replaceable but still worth enough to sell.

Steve B
+1. The hope is that as the Baby Boomers decide to part with their collections, there will be a significant number of people in the 25-40 age group who have the interest and financial means to catch these collections and keep the hobby moving in a positive direction. I am 37 and trying to do my part.