View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Those of us who have been in the game forever remember the Broders and other unlicensed issues and the problems they created. This is an extension of that with a handy little gray wrinkle. They are called Art Cards Originals and Editions. Some of these are done as art originals. I am actually trying to toy with a few of them myself for my personal collection of some Marshall players. The artist is not emancipated from trademarks. If you do the art by hand and it's the only edition, it's probably mostly fine. A lot of folks are trying to use this as a wrinkle and they are out of bounds.
I was going to post something similar.

Done right, it's art done trading card size. I think the small edition stuff, like One I was just looking at which was supposedly limited to 8 copies and wouldn't be mistaken for an actual card is in maybe a bit of a gray area. The ones that use a design from an existing set like 82 Topps, are getting a bit over the line, especially since the ones I see look like they were done in decent quantities. Calling an outright fake an "art card" is just as wrong as faking it in the first place.

I actually liked some of the Broder type stuff. The argument that the producer could always print more seemed pretty silly when the licensed companies had press runs that were probably into the millions for each card.
And as far as I know only one company ever got caught reprinting its own stuff - Upper deck- Twice! Once with hockey cards, the next time with one of the game cards Yugioh?