View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM
John B.

Default 1967 Topps Mays ghost images in backgroung?

Anyone else seen anything like this? I have a '67 Topps Willie Mays, when held at an angle in the light, you can see writing and circles with some kind of image in them in the background on the front. The images and text cover the enter surface of the card. I can make out some of the writing looks like it says "9 funny pictures" and on another part is looks like the work "fold", then like I mentioned above, there are several circles with unrecognizable images in them and some angled lines, could be pairs of glasses. There is other writing, I just can't make it out. It is in varying fonts. I would post a pic, but I don't think it would show up in the scan. Reminds me of a water mark on a sheet of paper. The card came out of '66 and '67 partial sets that I bought from the original collector, who I think grew up somewhere in California. I have bought other cards from the guy in the past and this was the last of his stuff, so I have no reason that they are anything but what was pulled from packs by him and his brother in '67. My first thought was that maybe the sheet the card came from was printed on scrap of something else Topps had. They "ghost images" are not indented into the card at all, it is completely smooth to the touch. Any ideas would be helpful.