View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Woody & Richard Gelman and Card Collectors Co.

Posted By: DaveL

I started collection in 1973. I had probably 90% of the Topps set of that year and the guy that got me started on collecting told me that if I write to Topps, they would sell me the missing cards. If I recall, he told me that I could use the checklists as an order form (I'm thirteen at the time). So I write to Topps, and they inform me that no, they don't sell individual cards like that, but they refer me to The Card Collector's Co. I wrote to them, and they send me a catalog. Through them, I was able to complete my first Topps set.

So I figured I start working my way backwards through the topps sets. I ordered an assorted block of 200 cards for Topps '72 (this must be around 1974). They come back and most of them have a noticable black scorch on the top edge of them. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I wrote them and, if I am not mistaken, they refunded my money. They didn't ask for the cards back. They explained about their fire, and had an offer for other assortments of (potentially) fire damaged cards at a deep discount. I did not take advantage of the situation. I do remember ordering some of their older cards. I got a T206 Hal Chase blue background in terrific condition for just a couple of bucks or so.