View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 05:10 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Seriously though, does anyone know or have a stab at the percentage of PSA graded cards that are reflected in the registry? Just how big a role does it play?
In some ways, I suspect that we're all looking at the historical premium paid for PSA graded items, and assuming that the Set Registry is driving some or all of that premium, mostly because there's probably not much to suggest that the quality of items with similar grades from other graders is really inferior.

Having said that, my sense is that the premium has narrowed more recently for some graders, particularly for some eras and issues. But there does continue to still be a spread, even if it's not universally the same spread always and everywhere.

I do think that the Set Registry could be a part of the story in that outcome. Another element could just be the fact that so many more items are graded by PSA, which tends to result in greater adoption, and a perception that their items are more widely collected, and therefore more easily sold.

One area where the Set Registry almost definitely has an impact is for items that are at the top of the scale, particularly if the pop count is really low, and it's for an inner-circle HOFer. PSA 10s for items in this category with a pop of 1 or 2 generally sell for astronomic sums, often much more than a similar item might sell if graded by another grader.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-22-2023 at 05:12 PM.