View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Al Jurgela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Cobb's lifetime average is .367 so he was just below average when facing Johnson (probably like most others). Ok, not so bad....

Al, this is an interesting topic. Are there any books (biographies) on Oscar? Have you read them? It'd be interesting to see James put together a document supporting why he believes Oscar is top 5, that's a very bold statement. As far as card values go, it's supply and demand (as indicated throughout this thread) which are based on so many of the factors that have been mentioned in this thread. Negro League collecting is a niche that has a relatively small audience. Please don't read too deeply into that, it's just a statement that covers the reason why there's such a difference in Clemente vs Oscar.
None that I know of as of now. I have heard that there are a few thinking about the project. And don’t worry. I have pretty thick skin and so not really give a “darn” what others think about the negro leagues. There are some great general books. Including a biography of Mendez which is cool. I always say that one should collect what they like. I am partial to history and pretty much detest injustice, so I am fascinated by this niche. The funny thing is that I have always loved Clemente, but if given the chance I would rather own a Dave Brown Billiken to a mid grade Clemente rookie any day. If you don’t know about Dave Brown, you should check him out. Fascinating story.

I have been posting some YouTube videos about the cards, but maybe we should spend some time on the history as well. The blog that I posted has some pretty good info on Charleston, though.

Al

Last edited by aljurgela; 03-12-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: mis spelling