View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Howard Chasser

Default The answer is.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I purchased this scorecard a long time ago as a super early Clemente scorecard from Puerto Rico. It is dated February 3,1952.

After purchasing it, I was confused to learn that Clemente signed his first contract with Santurce in October of 1952.

It took me years before finding what I believe to be an answer. Before I share it, I want to ask readers here to offer their thoughts or facts to make sense of this.
So like was suggested I considered - perhaps it was a different Clemente? But, what are the chances? Researched it and couldn't find evidence of another Clemente that played in the Puerto Rican league during those years. Maybe the date was wrong? Maybe, I just didn't know and it it remained a mystery for many years.......until.... Lelands auctioned of a very interesting piece of memorabilia - A questionnaire filled out by Clemente in 1954 - clearly indicating that he played with Santurce as early as 1951!!!! Obviously with no contract and an as yet unassigned uniform number!! Unfortunately I was outbid on the original -but snagged a good jpg to keep with the scorecard - highly likely to be the earliest known Clemente scorecard (for sure the earliest I have ever seen) !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Questionaire.jpg (78.7 KB, 217 views)